Corporate Etiquettes Answered
Etiquettes are good manners that help an individual leave his mark in society. Every individual is expected to work in a socially acceptable manner and to follow a code of conduct at his/her workplace. There is a difference between college and professional life. The workplace requires you to behave in a disciplined way. There are certain corporate ethics and etiquette that an individual has to abide by. Such behaviour is known as corporate etiquette. It refers to behaving appropriately at the workplace to create a good impression.
- Never adopt a casual attitude at work.
- Do not peep into cubicles and workstations.
- Put your hand phone in silent or vibrating mode at the workplace.
- Do not open notepads, registers, or files without permission.
- It is bad manners to sneeze or cough in public without covering your mouth.
- Stay away from nasty politics.
- Keep your workstation clean and tidy.
- Never criticize or make fun of any of your colleagues.
- Take care of your pitch and tone at the workplace.
- Never attend meetings or seminars without a notepad and pen.
- Pass on information to all related recipients in the desired form.
- Reach office on time
- Telephone Etiquettes
An individual needs to follow a set of regulations while interacting. These are called telephone etiquettes. It is important to follow basic telephone etiquette as the voice plays an important role. The person giving information is the sender, while the person to whom the information is sent is the recipient.
Here are some telephone etiquettes:
- The voice should be pleasant while interacting with the other person over the phone.
- Use warm greetings “good evening” or “good noon” depending on the time before starting the conversation.
- Never call any person at odd hours.
- Your content should be crisp and relevant.
- Dial the numbers carefully to avoid any wrong call.
- Do not chew while interacting over the phone.
- Always speak clearly
- Avoid taking too long to pick up any call
- Desk Etiquettes
Every employee should be assigned a separate workstation for better productivity. An individual workstation ensures employees don’t interfere in each other’s work. Here are some Desk Etiquettes:
- Keep your workstation organized and clean
- Make sure you don’t throw paper and wrappings.
- Avoid keeping stacks of files at your desk .
- Avoid bringing personal stuff.
- The office phone should be used only for official purposes.
- Keep a notepad and pen handy to jot down important information.
- Never peep into other’s workstation.
- Take care of your pitch and tone while speaking.
- Use the extension phone to speak to your colleagues.
- Keep your personal belongings in one place.
- Develop the habit of using a table calendar.
- Ask the attendant to clean your drawer.
- Turn off your printer, scanner, computer, light when you leave for the day.
- Do not smoke at the workstation.
- Meeting Etiquettes
Meetings are an essential part of any corporate setup. Employees sit together and exchange their views and opinions to reach a solution. There are codes of behavior that an individual has to follow.
Here are some meeting etiquettes:
- Try to find out the agenda of the meeting.
- Never attend meetings without a notepad and a pen.
- Always keep your cell phone on the silent or vibration mode.
- Do not attend phone calls during meetings unless it is an emergency.
- Be on time.
- Be a good listener.
- Fiddling with a pen or notepad is one of the major distractions.
- The one chairing the meeting must speak loud and clear.
- Minutes of the meeting must be prepared and circulated.
- Never attend meetings in casuals. Follow the professional dress code.
- Social Etiquettes
A human should behave in a socially responsible manner. Etiquette helps an individual to stand apart from the crowd. Here are some social etiquettes:
- Respect the fellow workers.
- Avoid Spreading baseless rumors.
- Be cordial to all.
- Help your colleagues.
- Be polite.
- Avoid overreaction.
- Avoid being rude.
- Respect the privacy of your colleagues.
- Avoid criticizing others
- Dining Etiquettes
Learning proper table manners is a crucial part of your behavior while working in an organization. It reflects a part of your personality and grooming. Here are some basic dining etiquettes:
- Never keep your elbows on the table.
- Put your napkin in your lap.
- Use the flatware starting with the one farthest from the plate.
- Never talk with your mouth full.
- Be polite.
- Arrive before your scheduled reservation.
- Be polite to your server • Keep your voice at a conversational level.
- Be a generous tipper.
- Know how to act at a formal dinner party
- Dining Etiquettes
Emails have now been a significant portion of our workday. It refers to the principles of behavior that one should use when documenting an email. Here are some email etiquettes:
- The subject should be clear • Use a professional salutation.
- Never use humor.
- Proofread your message.
- Never assume that the recipient knows what you are talking about.
- Don’t forget to add your signature
Corporate etiquettes will help you achieve your goals and work efficiently and effectively. It ensures healthy and cordial relationships at work as they are a necessity to survive and succeed. It reflects your personality and confidence. So keep smiling and keep striving.